Community isn’t defined by dots on a map, it is defined by how you connect them. The Creative Team aims to uncover the who/what/where/why that makes Bordentown City unique, sets our community apart from others, and really gives people reason to live here or come visit.
What is the Creative Team?
The Creative Team was first established as a subcommittee of the Bordentown City Environmental Commission (BCEC) in August 2013. However, in April of 2022 the Board of Commissioners wished to see the Creative Team take on a broader direction and focus, by engaging residents and harnessing their creative ingenuity to not only build sustainability, but to support economic growth as well. Since its earliest foundings, Bordentown City has been home to many creative luminaries and that remains the case today. The City is overflowing with talented residents – both professional and amateur artists with a creative passion – as well as businesses that support the creative arts, whether it’s a fine art gallery, sewing and knitting hubs, painting and sculpting, the list goes on. We would like to see the Creative Team highlight these resources and involve our residents and businesses to demonstrate that environmental sustainability and economic growth are not mutually exclusive.
What does it aim to do for our community?
The Creative Team increases the likelihood of maximizing and sustaining the creative potential that is inherent in every community, and can be the catalyst for meaningful development in our community by linking arts and culture directly to sustainability. It aims to support:
- Improving local business vitality, community spirit and public safety;
- Rejuvenating neighborhoods and stimulating job growth, within and beyond the arts and culture sector, contributing to overall economic development;
- Providing new reasons for people to visit, invest, or live in Bordentown;
- Building pride and commitment to place, including the physical environment and nature; and
- Bringing diverse people together to celebrate, create, inspire and be inspire, while improving quality of life and community well-being.
The Creative Team typically meets on the fourth Monday of every month at 6:30 pm at Carslake Community Center. We encourage anyone interested in getting involved to attend a meeting to learn more and/or submit a volunteer application to be considered for future vacancies on the team.